You may have to introduce bottle feeding for your baby at a sooner or at a later stage and for various reasons. It could be the running out of breast milk, your job or the increase in the baby’s apetite. When you are using the feeding bottle for the first time, there are a lot of questions in your mind. Its all about using the bottle in the right way and hygenically. It is also important as to how your baby will adjust to this process of bottle feeding and how it will suit her. Yes, a baby does take some time to get accustomed to this routine, particularly if the baby is used to breast feeding. Here are certain things to look for when you are using the feeding bottle for the first time.
Tips On Using A Baby Feeding Bottle
- Select the feeding bottle of good quality, possibly BPA free or organic. Also select the nipples carefully.
- Sterilize the bottle, nipple and bottle cap before filling it with milk.
- Make the formula or milk appropriately warm ( not hot!) and test it by dipping your finger slightly. Then fill the bottle up to the required mark as per the graduations on it.
- Check the nipple by slightly tilting the bottle. If the milk comes out in more than 3-4 drops at a time, change the nipple. It should come out very gradually as 1-2 drops. A high speed can pose a risk of choking for the baby.
- In the first few feeds, always maintain the time interval between the bottle and other feed (which may be breast feeding). If the baby is not able to suck through the nipple, change the interval of the next feed accordingly.
- Make the baby comfortable with the bottle feeding process by cuddling and conversing with her. The mom should start with the initial bottle feeds and the family members can take over later when the baby is comfortable.
- Last but not the least, do not forget to empty the contents of the bottle after the feed and to wash and re sterilize the bottle.
- Always have at least three bottles ready at home. Same should be the case with nipples. Do not keep the bottle in the babies mouth when she is asleep. Also watch out whenever she is being fed. Do not leave the baby with the bottle alone.
Maya Zilberstein is a new mom for two beautiful babies and the co-owner of a locksmith company in Broward County, FL. If you are looking for a reliable locksmith call us now 🙂 – We offer locksmiths in Hollywood FL, locksmiths in Dania Beach FL and locksmiths in Weston FL.