Television viewing is a major source of concern for all parents. If child watches too much TV, we don’t know what to do. Most children are so used to television that life without it is unimaginable for them. With the number of channels available today, they have a wide variety of programmes to choose from. This can be seen as an advantage for today’s parents – television in moderation can be a good thing and having a wide choice of good programmes to watch helps even more. The quality and content of programmes is what makes the difference. Their are certain things which you need to take care of to teach good television habits.
How To Teach Good Television Habits To Your Child?
- Discuss and enforce certain rules – For example, set a limit on the number of TV watching hours(1-2 hours per day should be the upper limit) and prevent TV during meals and while doing homework.
- Be a good role model – Be aware of the amount of time you spend in front of the TV and the kind of programmes you watch around children.
- Monitor the programmes your children watch – Preview them before your child watches them so that you know their content. Let them know which programmes are fine and which are prohibited for their age. There are so many programmes on TV for kids but you have to make sure which fits in with the values that you want your child growing up with.
- Discuss television programmes with your child – Talk to them about what they watch on television. Younger kids may tell you the story or what they have learnt from cartoon or about animals and plants from nature shows etc.
- Keep the TV guide handy – Watch out for kid-friendly, educational or family based programmes. This will keep both you and your children happy – they will get their share of TV time and you are assured that they have watched something that doesn’t harm them.
- Offer fun alternatives to television – Children would prefer to watch television all the time, as it is the easiest thing to do when they are bored. Help them to find different options. Encourage them to read, to do some art activities, play outdoors etc. If possible, do some activities together.
- Explain the ill effects of television – Explain them that watching violent programmes can lead to aggressive behavior, less time to spend with friends and family. With older kids, don’t just talk to them about it, also be on the look-out for any articles that reflects the bad effects of television.
Maya Zilberstein is a new mom for two beautiful babies and the co-owner of a locksmith company in Broward County, FL. If you are looking for a reliable locksmith call us now 🙂 – We offer locksmiths in Miramar FL, locksmiths in Plantation FL and locksmiths in Sunrise FL.